Employment Law is the only law we practice, AND we further specialise as we uniquely only represent and advise Employers. In fact, we are the only firm on the Sunshine Coast, and one of only a couple of firms on the Gold Coast, that specialise to this level.
Getting to know you and your business is important to us and enables us to provide practical and strategic solutions suitable for your workplace. We pride ourselves on the relationships we have with our clients and the true specialised services we provide to them.
We recognise that the majority of cases involving employment issues require an immediate, tailored response and we strive to provide this within your timeframe … at all times ensuring the highest quality advice and professional service.
Plus, we are friendly to work with!
Since opening our offices on the Sunshine Coast in 2006, the Gold Coast in 2011 and Melbourne in 2021, we have advised public sector employers at both Local and State Government level; and private organisations across most industries including, but certainly not limited to: building and construction; private schools; tertiary education; hospitality; manufacturing; wholesale, storage and distribution; professional services; healthcare; retail; banking and insurance; transport; technology; agricultural; and real estate.
After going through a rigorous process, Aitken Legal has recently been appointed to the Whole of Queensland Government Legal Services panel in the Workplace and Industrial category.
While we have offices on the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Melbourne where we invite clients to attend face-to-face meetings, we also work remotely with our clients across Queensland and interstate supporting and advising them in relation to their workplace challenges.
Angela Engel, Special Counsel at Aitken Legal
Angela was admitted to practice law in December 1999. Angela practiced in Employment Law and Commercial Law until 2008 when she dedicated herself to being an Employment Law specialist. Angela joined Aitken Legal in April 2011 working in our Gold Coast office.
Hamish Procter, Senior Associate
Hamish joined Aitken Legal in March 2012 as a Law Graduate with a strong background in Human Resources. Hamish graduated with a Bachelor of Law and was admitted as a Lawyer in September 2012.
Hamish has a unique understanding of regional and rural businesses, having been schooled in Toowoomba and then working for a prominent primary producer for a number of years before turning to the legal profession. Hamish understands the specific challenges faced by employers who operate out of regional areas, and in particular, the challenges and particularities of regional workforces.
Aitken Legal helps Employers meet their workplace obligations and minimise their risk for the entire journey, from the Start of Employment, During Employment and at the End of Employment.
Start of Employment – we help you to protect your business by:
• assisting with awards and employee entitlements
• preparing or reviewing employment contracts
• preparing workplace policies
• preparing independent contract agreements
• assisting with enterprise bargaining and preparing enterprise agreements
During Employment – we help you minimise your risk by:
• managing your employees’ performance and conduct
• managing discrimination, harassment and workplace bullying complaints
• managing ill and injured employees
• restructuring your workplace
• dealing with underpayment claims
• conducting workplace investigations
• managing Fair Work Ombudsman investigations
• advising on industrial action and unions
• advising on workplace health and safety issues
• managing transfer of employment
• conducting workers compensation reviews
• advising on sham contracting
End of Employment – we help you to achieve the best possible outcome for your business by:
• managing serious misconduct
• managing redundancy
• managing termination of employment
• dealing with unfair dismissal and general protection claims
• advising on breach of contract of employment
• advising on restraint of trade issues
• preparing settlement agreements
Aitken Legal regularly hosts webinars and face to face seminars as well as bi-annual Workplace Forums. To receive information on when these events are taking place, sign up to our newsletter through our website. https://www.aitkenlegal.com.au/contact-us/join-our-newsletter/