Professor Phillip Hamilton has practised as a Barrister and Solicitor for some 40 years and is a prominent practitioner in several areas of law including commercial and property law and litigation, as well as wills, deceased estates and conveyancing.
He is an also Accredited Specialist in Business Law and a Notary Public.
Professor Hamilton has been a Mediator since 1996. He understands that clients prefer to avoid costly litigation, and he favours mediation and round-table negotiations.
He takes special interest in testators’ family maintenance litigation and VCAT administration on behalf of people under disabilities.
Professor Hamilton takes pride in giving clients personal, ‘hands-on’ care and in seeking cost-effective solutions.
Professor Hamilton has been President of the Society of Notaries of Victoria Inc (twice) and is now President of the Australian and New Zealand College of Notaries, of which he was also a foundation member.
He is well-known as a presenter, especially on notarial practice, the field in which he is the Associate Director and a Professorial Associate, in the Sir Zelman Cowen Centre at Victoria University.
He has presented courses of instruction and occasional papers in Adelaide, Sydney and throughout New Zealand. In his practice as a notary, he prepares notarial certificates in Spanish, French and Portuguese as well as in English, for all countries of the world.
Professor Hamilton works in litigation, conveyancing, property law, commercial law and wills & estates, specifically in these areas:
• Administration of deceased estates
• Administration of estates of persons with disabilities
• Advice and litigation of claims for family provision out of deceased estates (testators’ family maintenance claims)
• Applications and appearances in the Guardianship & Administration List of VCAT (Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal)
• Buying and selling real estate (conveyancing)
• Commercial agreements of all kinds
• Commercial leasing
• Confidential personal advice concerning relationships and property sharing
• Establishing, acquiring and running franchises and business format franchises
• Expert certificates as to Australian law for production in foreign countries
• French language life certificates and certificats de coutume for marriages
• Israeli life certificates and notarial certificates as to Australian law
• Litigation in the Supreme Court of Victoria
• Mediations and dispute resolution
• Notarial certificates for all countries of the world
• Notarial services in English, Spanish, French and Portuguese
• Partnership documents
• Powers of attorney of all kinds
• Purchase and sale of businesses of all sizes as going concerns
• Spanish language powers of attorney (poderes generales y especiales) for all Spanish-speaking countries
• Wills, codicils and testamentary trusts
Phillip is a dedicated classical music fan, and plays the piano both alone and in duets, and attends many musical events. He is a supporter of the arts and collects modern paintings and old bronzes. He has a large suburban garden, which has been a prize-winner in the past. He has an enormous library to satisfy his voracious desire to read, and his literary tastes include fantasy and science fiction, religious and philosophical works. He has a substantial cellar, and is a regular visitor to many restaurants both in Melbourne and in country Victoria. He swims for exercise, a sport that he has enjoyed for over 30 years.